Monday, March 24, 2014

Camping in the Coromandel

We tramped over the hill from the Waihi Beach car park, carrying packs. I had chocolate and marshmallows in my pack along with a three liter bottle of Putaruru water. I also had a Paipo under my arm. Daniel had a headlamp switched on, because it was already dark. I kept tripping over roots in the path. We could hear the sound of the sea at the bottom of the cliff. The lights of Waihi beach disappeared as we walked around the headland. The walk took about forty minutes.

There was a flattened area under the trees, we waded through long grass like a herd of elephants in the jungle. I kept tripping up and putting my feet in holes. Some of the others had made a tarp tent in the bush. there was enough room for all of us to sleep, because we had tested the size of the tent back in the Park at home. It was completely dark. Theadora met us on the path and led us to the tent.

They had made a door out of fern leaves, and driftwood so that the tent could not be seen unless you knew where it was. The bedrolls were out, and packs were stashed in the corner. We did not eat anything because we had eaten at home before leaving. We had pizza on the way too.

In the morning I was really hungry. I woke up feeling queerly hollow. I had not slept well, because my sleeping bag zip kept coming undone, and when I tried to fix it Luke would start moaning on the other side of the tent, I found out later that he was actually running a fever. Tristan was talking in his sleep.

In the morning we discovered that the eggs were missing. Daniel had left them at home because he thought that someone was playing a prank on him making him carry a tray of eggs over the hill. Noone had told him to repack the eggs to carry them. So the first mission for Hailey and Victoria was to tramp back over the hill to get some eggs. We made breakfast of eggs on toast on the beach on the meth burner.

 Afterwards Theadora had to wash the dishes in the stream with some sand. Suddenly we heard screams coming from the dishwash area, there was an eel thinking that her finger was bait.

No comments:

Post a Comment